04 July 2012

TV Shows

The following are some shows I watch and one or a few that I don't.  Just a random blog...

1.  Masterchef US - Chef Joe is fierce.  I'd be so stressed out working with someone like that I think.  Gordon Ramsay ends up looking like an angel next to him.  However, he's like a super strict teacher but at least you improve with a mentor like that.  This is also one of my favorite shows.

2.  Game of Thrones - "Winter is coming".  Teehee!  My favorite.  Enough said.  Currently reading the books on this too.

3.  The Good Wife - always interesting

4.  Harry's Law - interesting and funny, well-written

5.  The Big Bang Theory - alllways funny, hehe!

6.  New Adventures of Old Christine - Julia Louis Dreyfuss is a great comedienne and watching this show is a stress relief too.  haha.

7.  House Hunters & House Hunters International - on the HGTV network.  I like it 'cause I'm curious to see how homes are in other countries, the design, the destination.  The ones they've featured, in France (Paris) and Italy (Florence) I liked those apartments, particularly the one owned by an artist in Florence.  Nice!  They were quite amazing and full of character and identity, plus good use of space.  The design and personal touches the current owners (not the ones seeking to buy) have there, wow.



But the best designed one I saw so far, was the one located in an old area of Marrakech and an English family was looking to buy property there for a vacation place but the husband wanted a place where he can renovate and fix up himself  'cause he's like a contractor despite the fancy term they put as his occupation (architectural designer... huh?  You're either an architect or a designer.  And based on the footage regarding the occupation, it looked more like a contractor).

Anyway, I think they called the type of home a riyadh or some such term.  It was really just the most tasteful, beautiful, and best designed interiors I've seen.   Best use of space as well.  Makes me wonder where the owner found their furniture and all the other home decor they used.  Actually, I want to know who the designer is too.  Lol!!  They have excellent taste.  But in the end the family chose another home to buy.  I don't even believe the place I liked was really for sale.  This is after all a TV show and they can make aspirational stories with their production.

The most bland interiors?  Usually the ones in the US I guess.  They all tend to look alike.  Or the el cheapo basic/apartments in vacation destinations in the tropics that's begun to look like a makeshift apartment that's built just to sell, or even if they're in Paris.  A one-room, no bedroom place that looks more like attic space and that's about as big as the bathroom in the former flat I lived in in downtown Vancouver is not an apartment or house unless you live in Tokyo or Hong Kong or other high-density, small land area, despite the fact that it cost about US $150,000 and it's in Paris.  Hehe!

I have a background in industrial design and I love working with space and how best to make it functional but also pleasing.  So I guess that's also one reason why I watch these two shows on HGTV.

8.  Dhani Tackles the Globe - another travel show but with a sports element to it since the host is a former NFL player.

9.  Globe Trekker - I used to watch this as Lonely Planet and it was hosted by Ian Wright, or Justine Shapiro, etc.  Now it's Globe Trekker with a different host but I still like it just the same.

10.  The Borgias - interesting show even if sometimes it's over the top.  I watch it mainly 'cause I like historical or period drama and it was getting more interesting as the shows go on

11.  Downton Abbey - simple show and story but good quality production, acting, and writing.  I love Maggie Smith.  And Hugh Bonneville too.

12.  Grey's Anatomy - when there's nothing else to watch, this is okay.

13.  Damages

14.  American Horror Story - Jessica Lange is quite a good actress I hadn't realised until I watched her here.

15.  Spooks or MI5 - from the BBC.  but this show has been discontinued after 10 seasons.  One of my favorites too.  Goodbye Harry Pierce.

16.  Case Histories -  BBC show.  Ran with only 6 episodes I think and starred Jason Isaacs.  That was a good detective show too.  Plus the setting (Scotland) and the cinematography, I loved it.  I'll visit Scotland one day, I hope.  hehe!

17.  Project Runway (US) - One day you're in, the next day, you're out!  Auf wiedersehn.  haha!  Love this show.

18.  The Amazing Race - my all time favorite reality TV show.

19.  True Blood - cute mystical characters.. vampires, wolves, and witches, etc.  Rather funny lines too.  I like Pam's character.  She delivers the funniest lines in a straight face.  That actress is cool.  

20.  The Simpsons - Homer's ALLways a character.  Lol.

Now the one show I probably would have liked watching all its episodes if only I didn't find its host rather arrogant?  It's No Reservations w/ Anthony Bourdain.  I've never finished watching an episode of this show, except for one when they were in Spain.  I think it's saved by its writing, destinations and food notwithstanding.  If the words/narration were left to Bourdain, I'd probably think gawd, change channels please!  Hehe.


space






Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...