24 October 2011

My Nepal Trek Gear - A Review

Some months back I posted a blog of the gear I planned on wearing and using during my Nepal Himalaya trek.  This time, I'm blogging about some points regarding these gear/apparel after the trip because such info might also be useful to some.

Note that I'm also a photography enthusiast so I also brought some photography gear with me, and the trek was done during the monsoon season.

To start off:

1. daypack
in the bus from Pokhara to Nayapul


I used a Deuter Act Trail 28 SL.  Used it all the way from the flight from Manila, to Bangkok, and to Kathmandu and back, and of course while on the trail.

at one of the teahouse stops

Verdict = essential, but when I bought it, I was looking to buy the 24 SL 'cause it's slightly smaller and I didn't want to bring heavy stuff while on the trail so I thought 24 SL might be enough.  However, since I also used the same pack as a carryon bag on the flights to and from Nepal, the 28 SL was the better choice.


2. duffle bag
Also the same type bag I used on the flight to and from Nepal, checked in.  My Samsonite duffle bag got torn at the seams at the left corner of the bottom of the bag during the trek.  Not good.  It wasn't a bag for trekking, only for flights/other travel not involving climbs.  Ended up getting a new basic one at one of the gear stores in Pokhara after the trek.  Fake North Face. hehe. 

Verdict = One can buy the duffle bag in the many gear stores in Kathmandu.  And it wouldn't cost you as much.  Used the same duffle checked in on the flight from Kathmandu.

3.  small pack
Useful when out and about in the cities along with camera gear, and stuffing the travel goodies bought.  lol.  Then left it temporarily at our Kathmandu hotel when we started off for Pokhara for the trek, one less unnecessary item to pack.  Picked it up after the trek.

4.  stuff sack/plastic bags
Very useful.  Used them to separate dirty clothes, etc when packing and leaving for the next destination.  Also used them when we had to leave behind some items in Kathmandu and Pokhara hotels or some of the teahouses we stayed in to lighten our load for the next leg, then pick them up on the return trek going back.

5.  tripod
Shouldn't have brought it.  Brought it to do some astral photography.  But didn't have the right opportunity.  Not during the monsoon season when the sky was mostly obscured by clouds in the evenings.  Tsk!

6. point and shoot camera
Yes.  Even if only as a back up to DSLR camera.  Used this one most of the time on the trail.

7.  DSLR camera
Yes.  Because output is always better than a point and shoot.  More depth.  Brought my DSLR mainly for the astrophotography, and point and shoot for the trail pics.  Maybe I should get an Olympus Pen series DSLR camera next time because it's not that bulky.

8.  extra camera battery
Not necessarily required especially during the off peak season when we went on this trek.  There was always a charging station available in the teahouses we stayed in.

9.  iPod
Yes.  As a music player or video player.  Used it to watch some episodes of True Blood on certain evenings in bed in the teahouses.  Hehe!  Also handy as backup device for pictures from camera/card if one's camera is compatible with the said iPod (iPod video classic 5 or 5.5 generation), which then frees up the card for other succeeding shots.

10.  trekking poles
Necessary.  But you can get them too in the many gear shops in Kathmandu/Pokhara prior to the trek itself.

11.  poncho
Yes, especially when trekking during the monsoon season 'cause yes, it rains one day or the next.  Don't buy the cheapest you can find though 'cause chances are, it'd get torn in many places along the way.  Happened to mine.  Lol.  Eventually left it behind/threw it in a wastebin in one of the stops on the last day of the trek. 

12.  head torch
Yes.  'Cause teahouses aren't exactly your average hotel in the mountains.  When you wanna use the shower in the evenings, some showers are located where there is no light and so the head torch came in very handy.

13.  small flashlight
...have one that's attached to a carabiner, like a keychain.  Quite useful at night in the room when you don't wanna disturb your sleeping roommate by turning the room light on.

14.  gloves
Yes.  'Cause it gets really cold especially as you reach base camp.

15.  fleece blanket
Left mine in Manila.  Too bulky.  Brought a sarong instead.

16.  towel
Yes.  Teahouses don't come with towels.  Only the hotels in the cities do.

17.  sarong
Yes for me.   You never know when it might come in quite handy.  I always bring one whenever I travel overseas.

my simple bed at a teahouse, with my versatile sarong on top


Used it as cover/blanket in bed in the teahouse, as well as a padding for my DSLR camera and extra lens (wrapped the sarong around them) when I transferred them to the duffle bag instead of keeping them in my daypack.  Didn't use the sarong as a bed cover/blanket each night on the trek though, 'cause I eventually used a sleeping bag (provided by the guide company) in bed to keep warm.

18.  metal water bottle
Not necessary when we didn't go camping, but trekking and staying in teahouses.

19.  watch
Yes.  Enough said.

20.  plastic drinking cup
Not necessary.  Like with metal water bottle, we weren't going camping and teahouses serve drinks.

21.  double-walled tea tumbler
Unnecessary.

22.  spoon and fork
Unnecessary.

23.  gaiters
morning at a teahouse (wearing my gaiters)


Brought and wore a pair one day.  Didn't bother with it the next day.  Felt constricting on my legs and leeches would still get in anyway.  Plus the guide and porters don't even wear them.  hehe!  My 3 trek companions wore them the whole time though.

24.  fleece jacket
1 or 2 is enough.  I brought 2.  Second one came in handy when the other got wet during the very rainy leg to base camp and we were in really high altitude so it was very cold.

25.  trek pants
3 or 4 are enough for the trail for a 10-day trek.

26.  arm warmers
Used a pair when my arms were sunburned, so they wouldn't feel sore next time they're exposed to sunlight.

27.  leggings/tights
Cotton and not nylon, for more warmth.  Used them as thermal undies.

28.  socks
Merino wool.  Used 4 pairs for the 10-day trek.  So I guess bring a pair or two more if you need to wear a pair during the flights to/back from Kathmandu.

29.  boots
my boots


Absolutely.    Mine has ankle support and is a half-size larger than my usual shoe size.  Use boots with ankle support, not trail shoes or running shoes, 'cause the latter might not last.  We stepped over so many rough and ragged rocks and stones I'm amazed my boots didn't suffer any tear.  Used a pair of Timberland boots.  And they didn't get wet through when I walked on many little streams too.

30.  windproof shell jacket
Got mine in Kathmandu.  A "North Face" one.  Not a down jacket but down would be great too.  Used this when we got to the peak/base camp, the highest point of the trek; and each night in bed when it's cold and rainy outside.

31.  flipflops
Brought a pair from Teva, with soft sole.  Should've brought a pair with plastic or rubber sole that would quickly dry after using it in the shower... material like Crocs' shoes but not something as big as Crocs' shoes (hard to pack...).

32.  toe-covered non-strappy slippers
Didn't bother bringing this.

33.  my Nike ACG shoes

at the international airport in Bangkok

Used during flights, or when going around in Kathmandu/Pokhara.  Handy too in case the boots get broken while on the trail.

34.  sunglasses
Yes.  But didn't use it that often during the trek.

35.  buff facemask/headwear
Yes.  Brought 2.  Should've brought at least 3 or 4.  =)

36.  brimmed hat
Yes. Double-purpose.  For rains and as protection from the sun.

37.  woolly skull cap/beanie
Yes.  Especially once at base camp or during cold evenings in the teahouses.  You can buy these as well in Kathmandu/Pokhara.

38.  deodorizing body spray
Yes for me.  Feels refreshing after all that sweat.  Lol.

39.  anti-bacterial wipes 
Yes.

40.  sunblock stick
For the face.  Definitely yes.

41.  sunblock spray/lotion
Yes.

42.  moisturising lotion
Unnecessary.

43.  lip balm
Yes for me.

44. petroleum jelly
Absolutely necessary for me.  Slathered them on once each night on the soles and heels of my feet before bed, and once more each morning before putting on my socks and boots.  And sometimes during stops.  Saved my feet from feeling painful blisters.  The one time I forgot to put some on, taking each step became somewhat of a torture.  So petroleum jelly is a must.

45.  insect repellent
Sometimes handy but not really necessary.

46.  toiletries (soap, shampoo, razor, toothbrush, toothpaste, anti-perspirant deodorant)
Of course. hehe.

47.  toilet rolls
One or two.  Brought them coreless.

48.  hair dryer
Unnecessary especially when there's not enough time before the start of the next leg.  And no power outlet to plug into in the teahouses.  Lol.  Didn't bring one though I would really have liked to.

49.  duct tape
Didn't bring any.  Didn't encounter any need for one too during the trek.

50.  first aid items
- loperamide tablets: helpful
- pain relievers like Tylenol: very helpful
- tiger balm: very helpful
- gauze/bandages: bandages were useful when got bit bad by leeches
- anti-bacterial ointment: used for the big leech bites but I think even without it, it would've been fine without any too though.
- alcohol: didn't bring any

51.  multi-vitamins
Didn't bring any.

52.  hydration salts
Didn't get to bring any.  Just drinking plenty of water from water bladder was good enough.

53.  bags of tea
Very helpful after a tiring and long cold day's trek or when someone wasn't feeling well from the trek.  Although teahouses also serve plenty of tea.

54.  chocolate chip cookies and other biscuits
Something to munch on before bedtime.  Lol.

55.  mints
I always bring some wherever I go.

56.  peanuts/trail mix
Unnecessary.  No time even to eat while trekking.  And only makes the bag heavier.  Better to drink water than to eat such things while on the trail.

57.  small bottle of chili seasoning
Great idea.  Used it with our meals to add flavor.

58.  instant soups or creams
Just like the tea packets, great idea especially when one of my trek-mates started to have high altitude sickness.

59.  pen and notebook
Keep the notebook really small, like a tickler.  Unless you're the sort who likes writing in a journal.

60.  1 book or magazine
Unnecessary.  Too tired to read and no or not enough light to read with at night.  Watched a TV series on my iPod instead.

61.  pad and water color pens
Didn't bring any.  Not enough space in the bag.  And no time to do it with just a 10-day trek.  Hehe!

62.  stuffed toy/plush

I always bring my plush Badtz Maru whenever I travel overseas.  :)

63.  kite
Believe it or not, I lost mine and I don't know how I lost it.  I packed it in my duffle bag but wasn't able to find it when I opened the duffle in Kathmandu.  Anyway, it was unnecessary too as there wasn't time to do kite-flying during the trek.

64.  match
Didn't bring any.  Didn't need it either.

65.  Lonely Planet guide

 the Lonely Planet Trekking the Himalaya guide along with 
my trekking poles and boots outside our room in Chomrong village


Optional.  But it was helpful when orienting ourselves on the trek itinerary and when one of us began experiencing some altitude sickness.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

space






Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...