05 June 2011

Trek Gear List

Below are lists of things I'm bringing/wearing/using on a multi-day/week trek this year.  The destination's a cold place especially as we go up to a higher altitude, but am not going during winter so I won't be bringing any down jacket.


Bags
  1. Deuter ACT Trail 28 SL pack - a pack designed for women's bodies..    
  2. 1 sturdy duffle bag
    - holds all items that I need not carry while on the trail
    - to be carried by porter once trek starts
  3. small pack
    - for my on/off trail carryon items 
    - might use my small and lightweight MEC Ridgemont pack (pictured below with my Bad Badtz Maru plush) or my small Millet pack.
    - This small pack would be put inside the Deuter pack when on the trail, and pulled out when at accommodations and dining at accommodations, for convenience with my carryon items.  Not camping with tents see.
  4. stuff sacks/bag
    - usually nylon drawstring bags or small zip up toiletry bags (freebies from cosmetics/skincare/perfume product purchases.. lol) or plain plastic bags to organize my packing of items into stuff sacks: i.e., electronic gear peripherals in one, toiletries in another bag, undgergarments and socks in another bag, food packets, first aid kit, etc.

Electronics + Peripherals
  1. DSLR camera with extra lens
    - especially for landscape, macro, evening, and astro-photography
  2. point and shoot camera
    - mainly for trail, people, and other camp pics
  3. lightweight tripod
  4. lens filters and cleaner
  5. my iPod video/classic (5th gen)
    - so can backup photos straight from the camera to here, not to a cumbersome laptop.. then transfer to PC/laptop when I get back home
  6. cellphone (whether or not it's going to be used)
  7. chargers, cables, and extra batteries and cards
  8. camera pouch for my Olympus XZ-1 point and shoot camera, clipped on to my pack's strap/harness for easy access when on the trail

Other Gear
  1. poncho
  2. trekking poles
  3. head torch
  4. gloves
  5. watch
    - I got myself an inexpensive and basic sporty Timex Marathon watch (in torquoise) 'cause I don't want to lose track of the date and time while trekking for several days/weeks. It also looks cute even when not trekking. hehe.
    - It has a daily alarm, 2 timezones, 24-hr timer, stopwatch, 50m water resistance, etc.
  6. fleece blanket
  7. towel
  8. sarong 
  9. metal water bottle
  10. plastic drinking cup
  11. my double-walled tea tumbler
    - got this in Vancouver
  12. spoon and fork
  13. gaiters (I'm not sure yet how useful a pair would be for me)

Apparel


  1. shirts
    - mostly short-sleeved, cotton and dri-fit
  2. 1 fleece jacket
  3. two waterproof/windproof jackets
    - 1 breathable, 1 fleece-lined
  4. trek/travel pants
    - 3 breathable by L.L.  Bean, Lakambini and Promod; 3 non-technical cargo pants by H 'n M and Papaya.. hehe!
  5. arm warmers
    - basically for protection against strong sun when wearing short sleeved top
    - also protects against other elements like wind, etc.
  6. leggings/tights
    - for beneath slacks on higher ascent or as thermal undies
  7. socks
    - 2 pairs merino wool, several pairs synthetic
  8. undies (but of course.. :P  lol)
    - mixing my bikinis/two-piece swimwear here since they wash and dry fast. hehe.

Footwear
  1. Timberland boots
  2. Teva Olowahu flip flops
  3. toe-covered non-strappy slippers
  4. my old Nike ACG shoes (in case my boots don't last the multi-week trek)

Headwear
  1. sunglasses
    - bought a branded sporty pair with polarized lenses at 40% off.  Hehe! Lost an expensive branded pair on a trip once (my favorite too..).  Never again.
  2. buff facemask/headwear x 3
  3. brimmed hat
  4. woolly scull cap/beanie

Toiletries/Personal Care
  1. deodorizing body spray
    - such as Marks 'n Sparks', gets rid of sweaty/humid feeling, feels fresh + has fragrance.. lol
  2. antibacterial wipes (I always bring these when travelling)
  3. sunblock sticks
    - for face/neck. I use the one in the picture below because it's easiest to apply on my face and takes the least amount of time to do so.  I apply it hands-free on my face, unlike with other types.
  4. sunblock spray/lotion
  5. moisturising body lotion if skin gets irritably dry on high altitude
  6. facial moisturiser
  7. lip balm
  8. petroleum jelly
    - for my feet primarily...to minimize blisters before I put on my socks
  9. insect repellent
  10. soap, shampoo and conditioner
  11. toothbrush and toothpaste
  12. anti-perspirant deodorant
  13. shaving razor
  14. tissues/toilet roll
  15. eyewear and eyecare items
  16. hair dryer
  17. etc.

First Aid Kit
  1. duct tape
  2. anti-bacterial ointment
  3. bandages
  4. gauze
  5. loperamide tablets for diarrhea
  6. pain-relief medication/ibuprofen
  7. oral rehydration salts
  8. cotton/q-tips
  9. thermometer
  10. alcohol
  11. scissors
  12. tiger balm/white flower

Sustenance
  1. multivitamins
  2. hydration salts taken with drink during breakfast or meals
  3. bags of tea
  4. Marks & Spencer chocolate chip cookies
  5. a pack of Rosquillo's - They're the only local biscuits that I like.  hehe.
  6. peanuts
  7. Smint mints
  8. small bottle of chili seasoning
  9. instant soups/cream/noodles

Other
  1. notebook and pens
  2. 1 magazine
  3. 1 book
  4. pad and water color pencils
  5. Sanrio Bad Badtz Maru plush (joins me whenever I go on trips or overseas)
  6. kite
  7. match
  8. Lonely Planet guide 
  9. waste bags
  10. laundry bags
  11. zip-lock bags (optional)

Given the above-listed items, I need to organize which item goes to which bag between the Deuter pack and the small pack, so...


The following items should be in my small pack.  Should hold my carryon items on the trail and at camp so to speak:


Apparel and Accessories
  1. sunglasses
  2. woolly skull cap
Gear
  1. point and shoot camera
  2. DSLR + extra lens + filter/s + extra cards
  3. extra battery and cards for cameras
  4. iPod
  5. cellphone
  6. pen and notepad
  7. metal water bottle
  8. tea tumbler
  9. utensils
  10. small plastic bag/s
    - as waste bin for wet ones tissues, etc..
  11. whistle
Toiletries
  1. anti-bacterial wipes
    - not fond of liquid hand sanitizers.. hands still feel icky after use.
    - Such tissues can also be used to freshen oneself up a bit by using them to  wipe off sweat/dust/grime from face/neck/arms/legs from outdoors, unlike with the hand sanitizers. hehehe!
  2. Smint mints
  3. comb and lip balm/gloss
  4. sun block stick 
  5. tiger balm
  6. white flower
  7. ponytails
  8. hair clamp
  9. deodorising body spray
  10. tissues/toilet roll
Other Items
  1. Bad Badtz Maru plush
  2. travel documents
  3. trek permit
  4. money

    What goes in/with the Deuter pack? 
    1. easily removable stuff pack:  my small Millet pack (pictured below, small violet pack on the right) or my lightweight MEC pack (like in this pic) and the carryon contents listed above 
    2. cameras in bag or pouch clipped on to the pack's straps/harness for easy access to camera; and the pouch easy to unclip then clip to or put in the stuff sack when pulled out
    3. trekking poles 
    4. sarong
    5. buff facemask/headwear 
    6. brimmed hat
    7. plastic bag
    8. pair of Teva Olowahu flip flops for emergency use in case feet gets painful from boots
    9. eyecare/wear toiletries
    10. packable kite
      - bought mine in the US
    11. other survival items/essentials:
    12. - fire starter   - a change of clothing - swiss army knife thing - compass, map (as if I can read these.. hehe) - flashlight/headlamp - some items from first aid kit (including insect repellent) - 2 or 3 packs of packaged food (no salty chips), vitamins, hydration salts, biscuits, and crackers/peanuts/trail mix... 


    I only hope I can keep my Deuter pack weight to 10-12kg max. including the cameras and the pack itself.  Good luck to me!  hehe!  The rest of the items in the list go in a duffle bag to be carried by a porter.

    You may also want to check my post (after I got back from my trek) of my review of the gear I brought.


    * pic of kite screenshot from www.prismkites.com

    0 comments:

    Post a Comment

    space






    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...