13 July 2011

Manila - Trek Gear Shopping Tips

I am a trekking newbie and when I decided late last year to go on my first serious trek at a mountain range overseas (scheduled months down the road back then), let's say I had an interesting as well as fun time of it for some months researching, window-shopping, and finally purchasing online and in Metro Manila whichever items I don't have yet .

So, in the interest of sharing with fellow trekking newbies where I shopped for my trek/outdoors gear and other shopping tips, I'm posting here my shopping tips/directory for the semi-budget-conscious trekker.  Lol.

1.  amazon.com
  • women's leather boots: I chose a relatively inexpensive waterproof Timberland pair with ankle support.  It was recommended by an experienced trekker friend of mine.  I bought a half-size larger and I'm glad I did because it fits almost like my usual shoe size, and because I'll be wearing thick wool socks with it:  one thick merino wool outer, and one liner sock...to minimize blisters. So it had to have extra room.  It arrived today and I tried it on, and it fits great with the socks.  Thank goodness.  Hehe!  I was afraid it might not fit me.  Lol.  I'm wearing it on a climb to a really well-known high-altitude mountain range overseas whose topography/climate arguably differs with that of the Philippines's so I'm not sure if it would be the best footwear to recommend for Philippine mountain climbs.
  • merino wool socks:  warm socks; anti-bacterial, can be worn more than once without having to wash them; more expensive than your usual or athletic socks
  • point and shoot camera pouch: I chose a Lowepro Tasca 30 for my Olympus XZ-1
  • poncho: covers yourself/bag if it rains torrentially up in the mountain, can do double duty as a makeshift tent with the right gear; possibly available in Metro Manila (supermarts or Ace Hardware maybe?) 

2.  my Deuter Act Trail 28 SL pack (includes pack rain cover):  Recreational Outdoor Exchange, otherwise known as R.O.X., also available in Toby's Sports

3.  trek pants


  • Lakambini Diyosa trek pants: Camp Sandugo; also available in number 2, and in an outdoor gears store in Park Square, Makati; convertible breathable pants; costs significantly less than imported branded ones; and no, not available in department stores as far as I've checked. hehe!
  • L.L. Bean trek pants:  Surplus Shop. This place is sort of like a best-kept secret.  Export overruns can be the way to go sometimes.  Lol.  If you're lucky, you can find technical trekking pants like this one I found on their racks.  This breathable pair costs less than Php 400.00 or Php 500.00  What can I say?  Lol.
  • Papaya cargo pantsSurplus Shop. 2 pairs.  Different colors.  Plan to use these when I get to the colder and higher altitudes (is this a good idea?  We shall see. hehe!)  These pants aren't of synthetic or of technical material and feels thicker than the first two.  Non-breathable but should be ok when it's colder(?) or when at airports/flights
  • other non-technical capri/linen/cargo pants: my old ones bought at H 'n M stores in Europe, at Promod, and at Linea Italia

4.  3-LED head lamp
Energizer.  At Ace Hardware.  Was at "mark-down" so got it at almost 50% off, cool eh?.  Originally costs almost Php 800.00.  Bought at almost Php 500.00.  A friend who has lived and trekked in Africa preferred this over the Petzl brand, didn't think Petzl was durable or worth the cost, based on her experience.  She was really disappointed with it.  *shrugs*

5.  trekking poles
Coleman Outdoor Shop

6.  arm warmers
  • cute thick cotton arm warmers: department store
  • thinner, synthetic arm warmers usually worn by motor/cyclistsstreet vendor near where residential village tricycles load/unload passengers;  a pair costs more or less Php 40.00.  At an outdoor gears store? -- >; about 13 times more.  Gaah!  So if you don't see yourself trekking really frequently anyway and aren't too prissy, buy your arm warmers from a vendor or the like.

7.  breathable waterproof and convertible outer shell jacket
Nike Golf.  Hey it was on sale and cost quite so much less than the usual imported branded ones sold in outdoor gears/travel stores.  Can be used while travelling too.

8.  dri fit long sleeved top with zip up collar and another long-sleeved top
Nike Golf/Nike.  Same comment as number 7.  But the latter was bought years ago.  hehe.

9.  fleece and fleece-lined jackets
Surplus Shop, if you're lucky but they're not as thick as branded ones so I plan to get one more at my destination.

10.  small backpack
  • violet Millet pack: R.O.X.; bought before 2009, was on sale
  • plain nylon pack with no padding in the back:  MEC/Mountain Equipment Co-Op in Vancouver

11.  other apparel
Swimwear for tank tops or undies, they wash and dry easily for when your trek lasts several days or weeks at least, not just a weekend. Bottoms can be used as undies in place of your normal undies.  Bought new ones after summer and was able to buy them at 50% off.  Not bad!  hehe!


12.  buff headgear/facemask
Camp Sandugo and the hair accessories section of Landmark department store (believe it or not lol...with cute designs too).  But the ones at the outdoor gear store seem like a better and snug fit.

13.  gaiters
The North Face store.  This is quite hard to find.  Only the said store had it.  And they had only two pairs of it.  I was the one who bought the last pair and good thing it was in my size.  hehe!

14.  gloves
Columbia store.  Got mine at 65% off.  Original price was at Php 1990.00, bought at Php700.00. Not bad. =)


I spent most money on the Deuter pack and the boots, which I think is as it should be.  They're Iike investments.  I have a slight back problem and do have to use the right trekking pack.  The Nike Golf jacket comes in third, followed by the gaiters.

The other gear I have yet to buy, I plan to buy at my destination.  They include the ff:
1. woolly hat/beanie
2. good fleece jacket
3. winter jacket (probably, but not the down jacket type)


You might want to check my other related post too about the gear I bought online, and my actual trek gear list as well as a review of the trek gear I finally brought with me.





1 comment:

  1. very informative blog! i just notice that its a plain text, next time you could add pictures so that it will be more captivating! but the article itself is good!


    cool items! never thought meron ganito sa mga thrift shop! nice selection! ang gaganda!

    ReplyDelete

space






Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...