02 November 2011

Good Read




That's the cover of the non-fiction novel Into Thin Air by Jon Krakauer.  It's the author's personal account of a tragic climb by a few groups of climbers to the summit of Everest on May 10, 1996, where, by the end, at least 8 people died.  And the author was one of the survivors.


my shot of the outside of Mandala Book Shop


I bought the book at the Mandala Book Shop in Pokhara in Nepal prior to our trek, but only got to read it about two months later.  This version is the British publication of the non-fiction, by the publishing house MacMillan.  There's a newer version printed in the U.S., with more photos.

I just finished reading the book last night.  And man, what a read.  Had a hard time putting the book down.  Some passages also are kind of creepy --
about visions by one Sherpa, and some experiences by other previous noted Everest climbers like Reinhold Messner.  Good thing I read it only after I've done my first Himalaya trek and not before -- when I didn't have a very good idea of the lay of the land for the trek I joined.  hehe!  Otherwise, I could have had serious second thoughts about going ahead, maybe.  But my Himalaya sojourn was a trek, and not a climb.  And climbing up Everest is certainly not for the likes of me.  Lol!

some of the books on a table, Into Thin Air in the foreground


In the end I believe it's human error and bad judgement -- a desire to reach the summit even when it's so obviously advisable it's time one should turn back -- that caused the tragedy.  So many if onlys, such as if only they turned back at the designated turn-around time.  One's life is still more precious than reaching the summit or the cost of getting there.  Then again, I'm no mountaineer like these guys and can't speak for them.  Hehe!  Also, sometimes it's just your luck if you end up with climbing partners who can't be relied upon when the going gets tough. Tsk tsk! 

On the other hand, as is also depicted in the book -- by some of the Sherpas, and at least two Westerner climbers/rescuers, and by the author himself since he mentioned these plus a statement online by a Sherpa descendant -- I can't also help but think they angered the gods, the spirits, the mountain or something, to have so much tragedy in one day even after all their preparation and communication.  Especially when one or two deaths even seemed to have been caused by freak accident, one incident after another.  Gawd.

Anyhow, since I'm no literary critic, I'll just say the book's a keeper. *nods*

0 comments:

Post a Comment

space






Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...