30 March 2012

Introversion/Extroversion & Workplace Mgm't

Just recently Time magazine ran an article on the power of shyness or introversion.  Having read it, as well as seeing there's a book about it, it's good to know that finally, more people are getting it.

I am an introvert but not excessively so.  Just that I'm not really the sort to talk a lot or talk loud.  I can start conversations but I don't feel like I necessarily have to.  When I do, it means I'm being polite/considerate and approachable.  So if you feel I don't talk much, don't be offended, that's just how I am.  For the likes of myself, there's a time and a place for such things.  I don't mind when others are loud especially when they're funny.  But if you're loud but not funny, only annoying, unprofessionally noisy and disturbing others at work, and bitchy, well, don't expect me to enjoy being within hearing distance from you.  Lol.

Anyhow, other similar articles and comments have sprung from such a topic.  One of which posted: "It's OK to cross the street to avoid making small talk."  Believe it or not, I have crossed the street to avoid making small talk.  Lol! But mostly because the people I crossed the street away from are the ones (former colleagues) whom I'd really not make friendly chitchat with.  Time is gold, and it's best spent doing things we enjoy and spending it with people we like or respect.  hehe.


And another apt quote by Lao Zi: "Those who know do not speak. Those who speak do not know."  Lao Zi, don't you know it!  Hehe!  It's just unfortunate that a more extroverted American culture permeates corporate workplace culture such that uninformed managers with less experience tend to think that the more vocal and "out there" you are, then you are a good "leader".  I beg to disagree.  I laugh because case in point:  this quote applies precisely to someone I had the unfortunate opportunity to work with. 
And woe too if you're a female on her team.  No female enjoyed working with her.  This someone was a loud-mouthed, rather bullying and seemingly insecure girl at work whom most everyone thinks talks loud and somewhat bullies others with her loud mouth to hide her insecurities and inflate her ego by thinking it effectively makes people think highly of her and do what she wants them to do.  But no... sorry girl, it doesn't.  It did the opposite.  I've had countless times when I wished my cubicle were on another floor.  And I'm not the only one.  If you think that kissing ass, stealing your boss' position, raising your arms and kissing the ground she and other mgm't walks on, and begging for work is the ideal workplace for you, then by all means you're welcome to it.  It's just a management no no to me.

And being spiteful just because another manager is better is just sad too.  I didn't pander to the spite by attending their team lunch excluding (and instructing everyone to keep it secret from --- what the heck---- ) the other half of the team led by the more clever manager.   Another childish management no no, and abetted by her equally clueless manager champion.

No one clapped when her promotion was announced, not even her own teammates. No one was sad she left.  And am sure there were some collective sighs of relief when she did.  Lol!  And I'm sure at the end she knows it.  Writing a goodbye letter that justifies your situation at different views at the same time certainly means she did.

Even some bosses overseas got some inkling of how disagreeable this person seems 'cause they've asked me seemingly innocuously how it's been for me working with one person, and then this person in question.  I was rather taken aback when the questions came to that point and thus responded candidly if not carefully...  By that I mean I didn't drop any negative adjectives but somewhat refrained from giving a concrete response versus my response on the first question on another resource.  Like the saying goes, when you have nothing good to say, then don't say anything at all.  Lol!  There certainly was a marked contrast between my candid and happy feedback on the question about the first person vs the latter loudmouthed one.  That by the time the conversation ended, I realized in hindsight that the way the conversation went was a good way of knowing the answers better, such that the one who asked was able to read between the lines and confirmed their suspicions.   They sure know how to time and phrase their questions to get the best response.  hehe.

Anyhow, it's just good to know I wasn't the only one who found her disagreeable,  annoying and bullying.  Steve Jobs that person isn't.  Glad I haven't a colleague at work now who's anything like that.  That's one case of extroversion I and everyone else really can do without.  But then again, such behavior isn't really the culture here.  And am just glad to be rid of it and such workplace culture at last.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

space






Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...