03 November 2014

Stuff I No Longer Buy

Well, not a lot anyway.  I no longer buy the following as much:
  • books
  • cds
  • dvds

Since the internet and the multimedia advances that came with it a long time ago, I've stopped buying the above.

For music, I don't even buy from iTunes.  But if I like the soft copies I hear from specific CD albums, I go buy the CD if I have to.  Similar goes for movies/tv shows, I get their DVDs.  And even then, they'd have to be extremely to my liking that I'd find it worth my time, effort and money to go and buy.

Except for home decor I buy from my travels, I'm just one of those who naturally practices minimalist philosophy when it comes to purchases.  I'd rather not have any more junk or clutter in my home and if I have to it had better be something that serves dual or more purpose.  Even with this blog I limit the tag categories so as not to make it anymore complex than it has to be.

So for books, I'd rather buy those that can be double-purpose, something you'd also be proud to display in the house.  Not something you know you can easily give away or not care if someone doesn't return it after borrowing it.  That way it's more value for money.  Lol!  So I guess this would mean art, design or architecture books that I find interesting.  Or perhaps that's just the industrial designer in me.  I don't buy mass market bestsellers in hard cover.  Besides I no longer have as much time to read as I used to.

So I think I might also cancel my cable subscription soon and just use Internet streaming via a device like Roku.  I might do this next year once my subscription expires. Would cost me less too than the bloated fee I pay for cable.  Thank goodness for Roku or Netflix and the like.  Hehe!

space






Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...