16 September 2008

Tracking My Apple iPod Shipment


I've finally succumbed to the call of the iPod, 7-9 years after its first release.


Above is a screenshot off amazon.com of the shipment of Apple iPod Video 5.5 Generation that I ordered. I tracked the courier shipment of the package. (Though of course, this blog post will only be posted with the above screenshot once the item's reached its intended destination. Hehe!)
So it has left the seller in New York and just departed New Jersey.

I just hope that when it arrives at the delivery address I entered, that the item shipped is the right version and not the latest iPod Classic/6th Generation... crossing my fingers. Don't want and am afraid of the hassle and headache of returning an item plus the wait time for the returns and refund processing and follow-ups.

You might find it strange that I opted for the older version; but having read the reviews online, it turns out that newer is not necessarily better. One consumer/reviewer online even posted that the latest version is "a lemon" and that many discerning consumers have noticed, promptly returned their latest version and are scouting for this version which is now discontinued by Apple. Lol! And that the best iPod version it seems is arguably the Apple iPod Video 5.5 Gen. This version should come in a box with one side depicting Johnny Depp/Capt. Sparrow in the movie Pirates of the Carribean, not the one with pop artist Nelly Furtado.


I thought I need only buy the latest/Classic one, but found out that the Apple accessory called Camera Connector does not work with the Classic version or versions after the 5.5 Gen (read: the latest), and not with the Mini, Nano, or Touch either.



The Camera Connector accessory makes transferring/backing up image files from a digital camera or card reader straight to the iPod Video without lugging around a laptop with you or needing a computer to do so, especially when you're travelling. So it's more convenient and you get to archive your image files straight away. 'Cause the first time I went around Europe, I always had to take time to make stops at photo stores so that my image files could be written to CD and I can free up my camera cards again. I find it weird why the latest iPods aren't compatible with the Camera Connector accessory.


I largely ignored getting myself an iPod of any sort all these years 'cause I didn't think I needed a fancy portable mp3/music player, until I learned that this iPod Video version can actually also be a portable external hard disk where I can view the photos I've backed up straight away. I recently lost several months' worth of photographs, music files, and carefully archived copies of important docs after my generic (Seagate?) portable external hard drive crashed and I don't think it was even 2 years old yet and it also still had about 30 gb of capacity available when it did. So this time, I don't mind spending more on something that I expect should last longer and is altogether more convenient and easy to use.

This version of the iPod actually costs more now than the latest models. I can't believe it at first either. But I guess demand drove the cost up? Since the 6th/Classic/latest version turns out to be inferior to the older version? *shrugs*


This iPod seems like a personal computer already. I can store probably almost all multimedia files I've accumulated and am still accumulating with it, then view them, listen to them, play with them, etc. So it's not just a music machine then, and therefore not entirely a waste of money and probably not hyped either like I used to think it was (but I'll know once I got my order in my hands. hehe!). Hmmm... The only thing missing with it is Internet capability. Lol!


I just hope they deliver the correct version, and that it functions right. I first checked out if Manila computer stores still sell that version but no, all now sell the latest. So when I saw that only 1 was left in stock in amazon.com -- the white one -- I just finally had to buy it. I need it and would likely not find another brand new one anytime and anwhere accessible soon. Lol! So let's just wait for the delivery and hope all turns out right.


space






Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...