15 November 2010

My Carryon Trolley Bag

Last year, I decided to shop for a wheeled carryon that can be as light as can be but also as small as can be possible for me considering the things I bring and the sort of packrat I can be when I travel.  Lol.

I decided that this new carryon, for my size and build:
  • may or may not have spinner wheels, as long as it's wheeled
  • should be as light as possible but still be sturdy
  • should be suitable for both business or adventure/leisure travel
  • should have clean lines and not look too rugged: can look like a backpack but with no visible external straps flapping about; no mesh-like or netted pockets
  • not look like almost every other kind of wheeled carryon (boring, rectangular, rigid, etc.).  So no Samsonite or something similar please.  Lol.
  • not be made of hard plastic or shell sort of casing
  • small enough to be under carryon regulations by all if not most international airlines
  • but roomy enough for lots of pieces of clothing and other non-carryon gear (gadget chargers and batteries, etc.. anyone? hehe)
  • has an outer pocket for a laptop, and should be on its front, not back
  • one am willing to check in if required to (like with domestic flights with smaller planes)
  • one I can stow in the overhead bin by myself

Hence, after checking out two different locations where they sell different brands of carryon bags, I settled on this Eagle Creek wheeled trolley, with the same color as in the pic.

 



It's supposed to have lifetime warranty, and weighs 3.63 kg/7 lbs 8 oz empty.

So far I've used it once as a carryon on a trip to a Philippine island province early this year, along with my Goyard tote.  Just to test it and see how it goes; before I start to use it for long haul international flights.  In other words, I "baptized" it (to translate from local parlance) on this trip .  hehe!  And honestly it was really a relief to use one, after years of travelling with a sporty daypack (no wheels) + tote.  I was able to pack several items in the bag and there were still lots of room for more.  And it's wheeled so there was less strain walking along huge airports/terminals/boarding gates, etc.  I didn't feel haggard, nor too rugged.  Cool.

It appears to meet my requirements, except for the last.  I don't believe any average female with my size can stow any fully packed normal wheeled carryon herself in an overhead bin.  And I realize now that it's unrealistic to expect so. Gah.  So I wasn't able to stow it by myself because it felt really heavy I couldn't raise it to above my shoulder level.  I was able to remove it by myself though.  Hmmm.


my The Northface Borealis backpack by my feet, on 
my way to the Canadian Rockies


So what was the big reason behind changing my choice of carryon and finally purchasing a wheeled one?
In some trips where airport terminals are quite a distance from the exit/entrance or to another terminal (for connecting flights), my heavy backpack can be punishing, for my small frame.  It's really difficult wearing one on my back the whole way, or carrying it with my hand.  The latter is quite unsightly too.  Lol.  The backpack I describe is one with many straps on it but not necessarily a pack for trekking, just a daypack but rugged nevertheless.  On my last trips using the backpack, I've observed that I felt more haggard as a consequence when travelling that way.  And started to envy the seeming ease of movement of those travellers I saw with wheeled carryons even though I know I might not ever be able to stow such bags overhead by myself.  So I finally decided to get a wheeled versatile carryon.

It's been a great bag so far, but it'd also be nice if I try something smaller or lighter.  It's just that I know if I go smaller, it wouldn't work.  Not with the things I pack, pre or post trip (shopping purchases, etc).  It cost me 5 figures in pesos but it's worth it.  So for now, this is the versatile overnight bag (can be carryon, can be checked in) for me on flights to/back from different destinations. hehe.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

space






Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...