25 December 2009

Fishies

I have new pets... Hehe!

my little fishies


Someone gave me a couple of pet fishes as a gift last Wednesday when I got home and was shown them. One of them is a Siamese fighting fish or betta splendens fish which I've been looking around forever to buy whenever I'm in a mall; and always find that the pet stores are out of stock or not selling them. So I was pleasantly surprised to come home and find I was given one. Got one at last!


Harry, my betta fish




Betta or betta splenden fishes are supposed to be among the lowest maintenance type of pet fishes around. They are suitable for beginner fish pet owners. I wasn't sure at first if it was a male or female betta. Now I find it is male, so I name it Harry. If it were female, I'd name it Desdemona. Lol!




Harry, typical of betta splenden fishes, reacts whenever I put a mirror in front of him. It's funny. His fins flare out, as do some kind of dark gill/s under his jaws... And his tiny little side fins begin flapping really fast. Lol!

Finally got to use the little betta aquarium kit (made of plastic) I bought in Vancouver. It's pretty easy to carry around and locate somewhere else in the house. But because the fishes came to me unexpectedly, the small aquarium was hastily made. No plants, just some smooth little pebbles. Maybe I'd change them to some colored stones another time. Will definitely add a little plant soon so Harry can have his little hidey hole. Hehe!




The other fishes in the small tank are a another type of betta fish called a penang betta (grows up to 9 or 12 cms only), and a sucker fish or plecostomus -- an algae eater that helps clean the tank.

I remember we used to have a big aquarium with different kinds of fish when I was small -- it had goldfishes, angel fishes, guppies, a plecostomus, tetra fishes and other fish. All decorative. My eldest brother was basically their owner, and us youngest of the siblings the onlookers. Lol!

The sucker fish might prove to be a problem later though, when it gets larger. Might give it away to another fish pet owner with a bigger tank. Maybe I'd get a couple of neon tetra fishes next time. Hehe!

space






Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...