29 January 2010

The Apple iPad and Why I'm Not Getting One, Yet


1. 64gb max capacity
- My 80gb Apple iPod Video 5.5 gen has less than 15gb available capacity now after all the multimedia items I archive to it. Do the math: 80gb total minus 15 free = 65gb used. 64gb? I might be the only one who thinks it but it just seems rather outdated.




And I have to use my Mac laptop to view videos stored in my iPod. Smaller screens like my iPod's don't do it for me I'm afraid. To have this iPad would have been great, as I can view videos directly on the same device, if not for the limited file capacity.

So, clearly this version of the iPad hasn't won me over yet.

2. No USB port
- This means I probably can't print anything (text or photos) from this device unless the printer's got bluetooth capability, among other things.

It'd be nice to print some little photos from this device via Fujifilm's Pivi mp-300 mobile printer when traveling or doing outdoor photo shoots.

3. I like my books in tangible form.
Enough said.

4. Its OS
- I had hoped it would use the power of Mac OSX/Snow Leopard, not the iPhone's. *shrugs*

5. No multi-tasking
- Because it doesn't use the OSX/Snow Leopard, you can't multi-task.

After listing the above, the iPad definitely wasn't meant to replace the laptop as we know it. But it would've been nice to have this lighter, more powerful choice particularly when on the road if it were a touchscreen laptop option that means it would have the ff:
- Mac OSX/Snow Leopard
- USB port/s
- video out port
- more capacity

Or in other words, I was hoping to someday have a powerful laptop/multimedia device with me which I can easily take anywhere minus the additional load/weight but with Internet and other connectivity capabilities, especially now in this more mobile and interconnected world we live in. I am willing to pay for it: a Macbook minus the tangible keyboard, not an iPhone minus the phone. Simple.

Until that day arrives, I guess I'd stick to Macbook still. *sigh*


photo from techshout.com

space






Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...