07 August 2006

Zizou, Figo y Portugal

This is a cool press photo of my two favorite people in football: Luis Figo of Portugal and Zinedine Zidane (Zizou) of France giving each other a hug during the semifinal match between Portugal vs. France. These two were former teammates at the Spanish club Real Madrid. I believe this 2006 World Cup is their last World Cup participation.

And here's an even cooler pic of the two exchanging their shirts after their match, where Portugal lost. Tsk!

Here's the thing, I rooted for Portugal in this World Cup match not just because I liked Figo, but also because I loved the Portuguese people who were sooooo warm and hospitable when I traveled to Portugal. They helped me without hesitation when I ask them for explanations or instructions on going someplace, some even would volunteer, etc.

From:
- the girl at the subway,
- the girl in the train,
- the girl at the pizza parlor,
- the mother and old lady on the suburban rail platform in Lisboa going to Sintra: Maybe seeing as I was alone, female, and travelling to Sintra with the suburban rail, the old lady offered that I should join her on her train 'cause it's the same one going to Sintra, bless her. She spoke Portuguese, I spoke Spanish. And in between, we exchanged smiles and maybe sign language. haha!
- the guys at a Lisboa street where I got out from the train: The first one being the Portuguese guy who walked back to me as I passed by -- after I have asked him some questions earlier and went our separate ways -- and brought me to two guys who he said speak better English and can help me and who turn out to be from the UK complete with the accent
but who don't look English, astonishingly. This Portuguese guy helped me out of his own initiative, finding me and walking back to me after I thought he had already gone ahead when we went our separate ways, and bringing me to the English-speaking guys. And then the English fellows were very friendly and wished me well. If that's not being a very good person at heart (for all of them), I don't know what is...,
- to the lovely couple at the Vasco de Gama mall who seemed like Brazilians and were very patient in explaining to me about how to get to Sintra; practically everyone I approached in Lisboa.

They won my heartfelt thanks and gratitude. I can't help feeling an affinity with them. Made me glad I came to Portugal even though at first I didn't include it in my itinerary until a friend who's been there encouraged me. And for that (
not to mention the amazing scenery on the way to Lisboa from Galicia in Spain), I look forward to my next trip to Portugal. Not everyone in Europe is cold and unsmiling. :P


0 comments:

Post a Comment

space






Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...